[CLUE-Talk] Dialup ISP recommendation?

Kirk Rafferty kirk at rafferty.org
Sun Oct 13 11:34:57 MDT 2002

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 07:31:20AM -0600, Dave Price wrote:
> Would anyone care to offer recommendations for a local (Denver)
> dial-up ISP.  Not for me, but for a friend who requires only home
> dial-up access using a 56k modem (and MS-Windows (for now))

Dave,

I'm glad to hear you're looking specifically for a local ISP.

I recently attended the annual meeting of the Colorado Internet
Cooperative, the organization where many Denver and Boulder ISPs get their
upstream feeds from.  In talking to other local ISP owners, I hear the
same story: business is flat for Denver/Boulder ISPs.  The big national
ISPs have the big dollars for advertising and CDs in everyone's mailbox,
and they've taken a toll on the small ISP.

What you'll get from a local ISP is quality support and a commitment to
the customer.  You'll usually get to speak to a technical person if you
need to, and many times it's the person that picks up the phone. (I am,
for the most part, preaching to the choir here)

Tell your family, friends, cow-orkers, to use a local ISP instead
of AOL/MSN/Earthlink, etc.  After all, why do they need to put up
with an email address of glenn62378 at aol.com, when they could get
glenn at denverisp.com? :-)

Thanks, and apologies for the passionate rant.

Kirk