[CLUE-Talk] "red hat - the new redmond?" comment from mainstream online media

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sat Sep 7 07:09:51 MDT 2002

On Saturday 07 September 2002 05:21 am, bill ehlert wrote:
> "There is growing concern in the Linux community
> that industry-leader Red Hat will become the
> 'Microsoft of the Linux world.'"

My questions:  why is it Red Hat's problem that other vendors can't get it
together?  Why do they ignore the fact that SuSE is the 'biggest' Linux
distro in Europe? Why does the author even mention the opinon of Sun
Microsystems?  Remember that this is a company that called Linux a 'toy'
until they announce their own 'Brand New Linux'.

Although I am not a RHAT user, I have been impressed that their message is
always the same and has remained totally consistent since they started (or
since I started paying attention 5 years ago):

"We started as an open-source company, and we remain one," de Visser said.
"Our commitment to open source remains absolute, no matter what our
competitors are saying."

Gotta love media-generated hype.  If this article were posted as a comment on
Slashdot, I think they author would be labeled a 'troll'.

Later,
Jeff