[CLUE-Talk] would like to try Linux

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Sep 23 11:25:39 MDT 2002

One thing I forgot to mention earlier.  For reading MS Office documents,
StarOffice or OpenOffice is capable, and does an ok job.  But it is not
perfect  -- no competing office package can be, MS makes sure of that.

If you are really picky and/or demanding, and the minor glitches in
StarOffice were causing problems, you can also do one of two things:
Try to get WINE running and see if you can run MS Office.  Or, go the
easy route and buy the CrossOver Office version of Wine from CodeWeavers
(http://www.codeweavers.com).  You then can use MS Office in Linux.

So these days, MS Office lock-in shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Of course, once you are up and running Linux, you should do everything
possible to ditch MS Office ;-)

Tim