[CLUE-Talk] would like to try Linux \\ SuSE ???

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Mon Sep 23 17:08:02 MDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 11:16:30AM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:

> By the way, if you want to find out whether StarOffice's Word and Excel
> filters are good enough for you, you might try installing the Windows
> version first.

And it should be mentioned ... if you want/need 100% compatibility,
M$-Office-2K can be run with success in a number of emulation
environments, both free and commercial.

I really think that the world of document preparation will be
well-served in going 'back' to ascii-based formats, either XML or LaTeX
based.  Portability then becomes a total non-issue.  And then we can get
back to dabating over which is better: vi or emacs.

(Note: star-office's native format IS XML-based)

aloha,
dave