[CLUE-Talk] would like to try Linux

R Frank rfrank at rfrank.us
Tue Sep 24 05:30:10 MDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:37:49 -0600
David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:

> Walter Hildebrandt wrote:
> > I would like to learn how to get and use Linux for word processing,
> > spreadsheets, and the Internet.
>
> Hey, if anyone wants to summarize the useful bits of this thread, I'll
> make a FAQ out of it.  There have been similar threads that could be
> added in too.
>
> If you're game, post here so we don't get duplicated effort and send me
> your summary.  If I don't hear, I'll do it but it will take me a while
> to get to (and risks being forgotten in the meantime).

If you are bundling comments about Debian, I'll mention my take on it.
I would *love* to use Debian, but it fights me in significant ways.
Two examples: Java and nvidia drivers.  In distributions like RedHat,
"real" Java from Sun goes in painlessly.  With Debian, java-common
bring in something quite different.  We use nvidia video cards and
we use them accellerated.  The nvidia drivers, which admittedly taint
the kernel, are easy in RedHat, and so far for me impossible with
Debian (to go from "nv" to "nvidia", acclerated).  I might add a third:
printing.  CUPS is my choice, but Debian fights me there, too, even
after what I believe is the right apt-get and even the localhost:631
setup.  This is all with woody.  If there are fixes for these obstacles
I'd like to know about them, but that's the point: a user should not
have to struggle with an installation as I have.

--
Roger Frank
Ponderosa High School