[CLUE-Talk] Mandrake to Debian

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Tue Sep 24 13:11:47 MDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 09:37:56PM -0600, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> I have not used Debian, but I can tell you that because it is the truest
> GNU/Linux distribution out there, I may just try it one of these days.  My
> only gripe is that Debian is even slower than Slackware to add new versions
> of things I think are important.  Maybe this has changed, since it's been
> about 2 years since I considered switching to Debian.

You will probably find that woody (now stable) has everything you might
want.  Potato was getting pretty far behind the curve, and a lot of
folks went to sid (testing) or woody before it became stable to gain
access to the better packages.

I have not found anything I wanted to install that is not in woody.
Except for 'freshmeat' stuff, which compiles painlessly.

aloha,
dave