[CLUE-Talk] would like to try Linux

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Wed Sep 25 17:09:06 MDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:58:34AM -0600, Walter Hildebrandt wrote:
> In looking at used  computers it appears sometimes there is little price
> difference between PII and PIII with similar RAM and GB of hard disk.  In
> using Linux is there any meaningful difference between PII and PIII?  For a
> reference point the computer should be able to do everything in Star Office
> (or other office suites).
>
> The Clue-talk is great.  At this point I am at the first step - selecting a
> computer.  The Clue-talk convinced me that it is safest to start with a
> separate computer so my present computer will keep working until the Linux
> computer is setup and I have leared how to use it.

Yes - CLUE-talk is great - CLUE-tech is even better!

The difference between a P-II and P-III is just the onchip cache size
and a few pipeline optimizations in the microcode.  I run a P-III in a
motherboard that thinks it is a P-II.

With respect to X perfomance (star/open office and friends) your big
performance hit will be in the video card.  Get a nice AGP card and you
will be fine - older PCI cards with a lot of RAM also work well.

Your base system - with 64mb or better RAM and 2gb plus of Hard disk for
linux should let you get a good taste of penguin fun.   (And please
write your documents in ascii text - use formatting tools to get the
output you want - we will all be happier)

aloha (in plain text)
dave