[CLUE-Talk] Oh No! Not Again! (spam spam spam spam ...)

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Apr 15 10:45:11 MDT 2003

On 15 Apr 2003 08:00:55 -0600
Jef Barnhart <jef at batky-howell.com> wrote:

> C'mon Jed. When did you ever see a "attendance sheet" at a CLUE meeting
> other than this one meeting? I had asked about the sheet and she told me
> that this was for mailings. She didn't try to give me the peruvian
> armbar to get me to sign. I still signed up just to see what they hd to
> offer.

Yeah, I thought it was  a little odd. But, IIRC, there used to be one, and
you had to "sign in" to be eligible for the door prizes -- that was the
"CLUE lore" Jeff mentioned a few months ago. At the time I came by, nobody
was manning the table. Yeah, there were people behind it -- just the usual
collection of people hanging out talking by the door. I didn't see anyone
paying any attention to people looking at things on the table, greeting
them, asking what interest they had in IBM hardware, etc., which is what I
would expect for a "vendor" table. The attendance sheet didn't look like
anything other than that. There wasn't anything on it that said "sign up
to receive junk from IBM".

So, why did I sign it? Misplaced trust, I guess. This was a CLUE meeting,
after all.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl