[CLUE-Talk] Iraq Stuph

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Tue Apr 22 21:05:59 MDT 2003

On 04-22 20:04, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> Speaking of avoiding the core argument, it seems Kevin is pretty eager
> to sidestep the question: if the justification for going to war with
> Iraq is that they're a threat, how can we justify it when they've found
> no weapons of mass destruction, and the Iraqi army fell in less than a
> month? Where was this threat?

What about training terrorists? Is that not a threat?

http://www.tribnet.com/24hour/iraq/story/843118p-5923701c.html

I've expressed my doubts prior to the war about the justification, too.
However, if nothing else, Bush & co. are looking like political geniuses in
the aftermath of Baghdad falling - negotiating from a position of strength
has proven much more effective in our dealings with Syria and North Korea
since. As Matt said, we have yet to see the end yet, but right now it's
quite overwhelming how quick the war was, as well as the reaction from
Iraqis who have been freed. When I set aside all the worries for a moment,
the Libertarian in me can't help but feel happy for those folks. Some of the
individual stories are very uplifting, indeed.

I can't help but wonder if this will be wrapped up as effectively. Getting
out soon enough to avoid overwhelming cries of imperialism, etc., while
still having enough time for the right system to be settled on by the Iraqis
is going to be quite the trick.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/