Gel (was Re: [CLUE-Talk] OpenOffice as Molasses - Not quite...)

rknech at pcisys.net rknech at pcisys.net
Thu Apr 24 06:47:41 MDT 2003

> Hi, I thought I'd give Gel a shot since I want to ditch JBuilder, too, and
> JEdit and Eclipse can be a bit hoggish. I am running a lot on my box at
> work, and only have 512M...and I find myself over that with the piggy IDEs.
>
> One question: what compiler do you use? I find that jikes wasn't working -
> it wanted something in it's classpath, but I'm not sure what. Once I went
> back to javac, it compiled. But javac is dog slow.

I use javac.  It compiles pretty good for me, but at work I am on a PIII
800 with 1 gig ram, and at home I am using a dual PIII 850 with a Gig of
ram.  So javac tends to compile rather quickly for me.  You might try
putting jikes in the same directory as javac and see if that works.  You
can "hack" around things in Gel.  The compileer output will show up
"Console" window.  You have to make sure you have the console open to see
the output.  The is a setting under "General Options" in the "Tools" menu
that if checked will hide the console on startup, just make sure that is
unchecked.

> Also, how do you get the output from the compiler? I didn't see any
> integration with Ant, either, but maybe I'm missing that...
>
> I ask you since the website doesn't seem to have a user mailing list, and
> the online help and forums are unwieldy, IMHO.

For ant : got to the "Tools" menu, then select "Options"  the option under
 "General Options" is "Ant".  But just a heads up, when you "browse" to
point to your ant location, it will default to looking for file type of
".EXE" , just chagne it to ""All Files" then you can point it to your .bat
file.

HTH.

If you need I can email you my Options.xml file if you want.  You will just
have to change some of the class paths etc..