[CLUE-Talk] Fw: Recap of SCO - IBM law suit

Gary Threlkeld gthrelk at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 10:34:32 MDT 2003

Excerpts -

How blatant was the code-lifting you discovered?
When we take a top-tier view of the amount of code showing up inside of Linux--we don't necessarily own those flavors, but we have control rights over how that information gets disseminated--the amount is substantial. We're not talking about just lines of code; we're talking about entire programs. We're talking about hundred of thousands of lines of code.
Some open-source defenders have said that there's only one way you can write certain functions, so some part of the Unix and Linux code are bound to look the same. Do the similarities go beyond that?
We're talking about line-by-line code copying. That includes not just the function but the exact, word-for-word lines of code. And the developer comments are exactly, 100 percent the same. The developer comments really get to the DNA of the code. It's one thing to have something look the same, but when the developer comments are exactly the same, that tells you everything you need to know that this is in fact lifted, that it has been copied and pasted from Unix into Linux.

The perception is that Microsoft basically wants to use this as a weapon in its battle against Linux. What's your response?
The Linux community loves to jump on that bandwagon. There's no truth to it...

To the extent this makes an IT guy think twice about deploying Linux, do you have any regrets about that, or do you think you're doing those people a favor?
I believe were doing them a huge favor...