[CLUE-Talk] "increase throughput of yer broadband 'net connec tion - windows users need not apply"

Casagrande, Steve Steve.Casagrande at echostar.com
Thu Aug 7 08:05:12 MDT 2003

> > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1195048,00.asp
> >

> that's cool, i was just thinking earlier today looking at a download
> that was transfering at 4.3k of file data but 5.5k was passing through
> my nic and i was wondering if there was some way to make the TCP/IP
> overhead lower (i'm on dialup but i think i'd notice the speed
> difference even more if it was a leaner protocol).

Caltech's FAST algorithm is actually useful for very high speed networks - I
think it's a forward-looking congestion control algorithm.  The original
press release, and the obligatory slashdot article, are below:

http://pr.caltech.edu/media/Press_Releases/PR12356.html
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/22/2148241&mode=thread&tid=134

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it would help your dialup speed.

Regards,

Steve Casagrande