[CLUE-Talk] Anyone heard about this? Free Mike Hawash

G. Richard Raab rraab at plusten.com
Thu Aug 7 13:23:25 MDT 2003

On Thursday 07 August 2003 01:04 pm, Randy Arabie wrote:
> >On Tuesday 29 Apr 2003 17:42:26 -0600, Jeffery Cann Wrote:
> >>On Tuesday 29 April 2003 10:40 am, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> >>
> >> Re. Hawash: How do I know what he has or has not done?
> >> IOW, what would I say to my representatives, now that
> >> charges have been filed? I've written them in the past
> >> regarding due process and other constitutional issues
> >> surrounding USAPA and the Homeland security act. I'm not
> >> saying Hawash is guilty, nor innocent. I'm saying that I
> >> have no way of knowing. The nature of covert operation is
> >> that as few people as possible know about your actions.
> >
> > Well, before he had been formally charged, he (an American
> > citizen) had been held for about 6 weeks.  This certainly is
> > against the 4th amendment and sets a bad precedent against
> > the 'innocent until proven guilty' deal.
> >
> > Now that he has been charged (and given what few facts I
> > know), it seems that he may be guilty of bad judgement more
> > than conspiracy.  Hard to say right now.
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > --
> > Life is a tie. In the end, no one wins.
> >  -- Oswald Neimo
>
> As it turns out, Mr. Hawash pleaded guilty Wednesday to
> conspiring to provide services to the Taliban.

It is called a plea bargin. He is getting a minimal sentance vs a huge one.
Just because he was forced into  a plea does mean that he did it. Of course,
it does not mean that he didn't do it either.

But if the government was threatening me with being held for another 10 - 15
years with out any real charges, then I might think about do it as well. And
there is no doubt that the government does that in this day and age. Kevin
mitnick was held for 4 years while the government tried to compile him to
devulge his password. This is self incimination. It is no different than if a
fed says tell us where you hid the gun or we will hold you forever. It is
wrong ethically and constitionally. And our current government has gone much
further.

BTW, I was once accused of theft of gas (5 dollars).
However, I did not steal any gas. I wll go to my grave swearing it.
I gave the clerk money and she handed some back. I did not count it or really
notice what transpired. Funny thing was that my roomie and I parked at the
station afterwardsand ate the candy bars and soda while discussing what we
had to do that day.

I sat in a courtroom and told the truth. I watched a cop lie on the stand. Out
right lie. The first trial went against me. In the 2'nd I was offered a plea
just like the first. I took the deal. It meant a suspended sentence vs. a
misdeamner charge on my record. But I had to admit guilt at the court room.
It was one of the more degradeing things that I have ever done.

- --
cheers
g.r.r.