[CLUE-Talk] Anyone heard about this? Free Mike Hawash

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Aug 7 14:22:04 MDT 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:32:27 -0600
"G. Richard Raab" <rraab at plusten.com> wrote:

> I hate getting in a hurry. I need to re-read these when I first write
> them.

Hey, those corrections were already there when I read it.

A testimony to the flexibility of the brain as a pattern-matching
processor, eh? Except sometimes maybe it's too good?

Oh, BTW, the other sorta similar story in the news lately is about the
publisher of raisethefist.com -- it's been on Slashdot, Instapundit, et.
al. The news coverage mentions that he accepted a plea bargain, in part
(or in full?) because of the threat of having the charges against him
escalated to include terrorism, carrying with it the possibility of a
20-year sentence.

As to Hawash, I note that part of the agreement is that he provide info
and testimony WRT the rest of the Portland 7, and presumably, anybody else
he's aware of. I think this is telling. If he had told prosecutors, "I
accept a plea bargain, but I'm afraid I just don't have the information
you're after", would that have been reported? Probably not -- we'd have
heard only that he accepted a plea arrangement, and the barest of the
terms of it.

jed