[CLUE-Talk] Anyone heard about this? Free Mike Hawash

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Thu Aug 7 14:30:26 MDT 2003

> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:32:27 -0600 Jed wrote:
>
> Hey, those corrections were already there when I read it.
>
> A testimony to the flexibility of the brain as a pattern-matching
> processor, eh? Except sometimes maybe it's too good?
>
> Oh, BTW, the other sorta similar story in the news lately is about the
> publisher of raisethefist.com -- it's been on Slashdot, Instapundit,
et.
> al. The news coverage mentions that he accepted a plea bargain, in
part
> (or in full?) because of the threat of having the charges against him
> escalated to include terrorism, carrying with it the possibility of a
> 20-year sentence.
>
> As to Hawash, I note that part of the agreement is that he provide
info
> and testimony WRT the rest of the Portland 7, and presumably, anybody
else
> he's aware of. I think this is telling. If he had told prosecutors, "I
> accept a plea bargain, but I'm afraid I just don't have the
information
> you're after", would that have been reported? Probably not -- we'd
have
> heard only that he accepted a plea arrangement, and the barest of the
> terms of it.
>
> jed

This appears to be the entire text of the Hawash plea bargin:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1043672261
147451.xml

There's a lot of detailed allegations there that *should* have a
substantial paper trial backing them up.  Seems if these were
just "cooked up" it wouldn't be all that hard for someone to dispute.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/