[CLUE-Talk] Something to think about

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri Aug 8 00:11:30 MDT 2003

On Thursday 07 August 2003 16:31, G. Richard Raab wrote:

> I have been thinking about IBM's response and if they really have some
> fundemntal patents, they could throw a rela monkey wrench in Unix, not just
> SCO.
>
> Here is something that I posted to LT
>
> <I>
> IBM is going after SCO with the patents. If the patents are core, it is
> quite possible that it could hold up the Unix sys V( Of course, i doubt
> that it is that fundamental, but I suspect that they have patents ).
>
> At the same time, IBM has talked about ultimatly killing off AIX and moving
> all customers to Linux. If IBM can hold up SCO from making sales, they
> could even threaten HPux, Irix, and possibly Solaris.
> This may have far ranging implications much further than any realize.
>
> Is this the final battle?

Richard,

Was this someone's opinion?  JK because IBM has more patents than any other
technology - like orders of magnitude more.  In fact, the IBMer who came to
Jan CLUE meeting displayed a graph which depicted just how many more patents
IBM received this past fiscal year.

Jeff

--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."