[CLUE-Talk] baby monitor static

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Mon Aug 11 08:29:14 MDT 2003

Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> writes:

> Greetings.
>
> I have a 900 MHz baby monitor.  In addition to hearing my neighbor's telephone

Cool!  So do I!  :-)

> conversations (we're like the FBI), the static is killing me.  Could a RF
> expert give me some advice on shielding?

I have an 800 MHz computer and a Sony 900 MHz baby monitor!

I have not had a problem with the monitor, but I did note that AM
radio went to hell!  (listening to the NPR news station is almost
painful).

I did notice that at work the problem was greatly reduced (I used to
have this same computer at work) because I have a huge Faraday cage,
AKA big metal desk, which surrounded the computer.  I am guessing that
you might achieve similar results if you get a steel desk.

> We don't have 900 MHz phones in my house, but we do have several computers,
> laptops, etc.  In particular, it seems that it's very difficult for me to
> find a location anywhere in the house not affected by static.

Usually, I can go upstairs (with the computer downstairs) and the
static (on the radio) is greatly reduced.  (I sometimes use a laptop
as a remote terminal upstairs).

Here is another suggestion.  Put the baby monitor in another room and
turn the volume way up.  This is how I have addressed the AM radio
problem.

-Dale
The work-at-home dad/engineer