[CLUE-Talk] Linux in Schools, a bottleneck in the higher ups.

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sun Aug 17 12:44:34 MDT 2003

Hey all,

I was talking with a friend of my sisters who is a teacher at a local
high school and this /. article hit the nail on the head:

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/03/08/16/2358216.shtml?tid=107&tid=146&tid=187&tid=99

"Business Week describes the current situation in the educational
market, suggesting that Apple will lose its share among the high school
teachers and students. The worst enemies, according to Business Week,
are school superintendents. "We want a single platform," one of them
said. "We're trying to get there using the carrot, or blackmail, or
rewards, or whatever you call it.""

The teacher, who teaches computer programming to students, has been
asked by students to get Linux in the school and she has asked the
school superintendent when and each time they state "We don't have the
room." The kids want it, but the higher ups don't want to fool with it.

I know some of you have been active in getting it running in some
schools, what arguments have you been using?  Their "customers," i.e.
students, businesses, want it?

Kevin