[CLUE-Talk] easiest distro to install

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Mon Aug 18 17:46:15 MDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:16:54 GMT
Dennis J Perkins <djperkins at americanisp.net> wrote:

> I was asked which distro is easiest to install.  I'm told Mandrake is one of
> the easiest but I don't know how easy it is for a non-techie to install.  He
> doesn't want any technical questions.  Is there a distro that doesn't ask about
> partitions, etc?

It's the start of the year at school, so I get this question a lot from
students new to the Linux-based courses.  Mandrake is nice, as others have
noted, but I nearly always recommend Libranet.  LN 2.7 is a free download, and
LN 2.8 ($) is even easier to install.  I really like that it finds the nvidia card
and does the right thing automagically.  Same with RealPlayer and Flash from
the very slick xadminmenu.  I also love the way they can apt-get update and
apt-get upgrade and bring everything up to date (yes it's Debian under the hood).

That said, these are students who want to learn.  If they really wanted
just an appliance, then maybe Mandrake 9.next would be even better.
Just my 2 cents.

---
Roger Frank