[CLUE-Talk] They are smoking crack...

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Thu Aug 21 08:56:29 MDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:36:40PM -0600, Jeff Cann wrote:
> Torvalds: They are smoking crack. Their slides said there are [more than]
> 800,000 lines of SMP code that are "infringing," and they are just off their
> rocker.
>
> + http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1227128,00.asp

Here's a real gem in one of the stories going around:

   "The obfuscated code example is not SCO's property," said Perens. "It
   was developed by the Lawrence Berkeley Lab in 1993, under funding
   of the US Government. The code was added to SCO's version of Unix
   in 1995 or 1996, he maintained. "SCO took (the BSD) source code,
   lost the attribution, and now believes it's theirs."

[Here's the gem: ]

   SCO disputed Perens' claims. "We're the owners of the Unix (AT&T)
   System V code, and so we would know what it would look like," he
   said. "Until it comes to court, it's going to be our word against
   theirs."

   http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/08/20/HNscomoreflaws_1.html

I'm not sure who the "he" is from SCO that's being quoted, but if I were
a SCO shareholder, and had stuck it out this long, this article would be
my signal to dump it all, and maybe even pick up some IBM.

Besides being the business equivelant of sticking your fingers in your
ears and yelling "la la la I'm not listening...", it's the clearest sign
yet that SCO are really running on hot air, hoping for a settlement.

And yet, SCOX is up 4.7% today.  Sure takes me back to the bizarro world
dot com days.

-k