[CLUE-Talk] Scary stuff

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Fri Aug 22 04:58:50 MDT 2003

PC World has a piece on software that I've been dreading since I heard
about Microsoft's "IRM" (it's really DRM).

"Treasure Coast of Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, has developed Mail-Lock
software to give the sender control over what a recipient does with
their e-mail. A sender can specify when a message will expire, making it
disappear if sent to an Outlook client or simply become inaccessible on
any other e-mail client, and whether it can be forwarded, printed, or
copied."

Essentially, this is software that requires you to use Windows to read
e-mail if it's been wrapped in "IRM" by Mail-Lock. So, all of the folks
successfully using Linux, Apple, *BSD or any other system for desktop
use will be slowly forced to switch if they do business with companies
who insist on using something like Mail-Lock -- and this is going to be
like honey to flies to a lot of corporate PHBs that will *love* the idea
of "locking" outgoing e-mails.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier