[CLUE-Talk] Microsoft incompetence of negligence?

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Tue Aug 26 07:28:34 MDT 2003

> On 08-25 19:38, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> >
> > > On 08-24 18:29, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> <snip>
> > > LOL - he mentions those "Protect Your PC" ads. I tore one out of my WSJ
last
> > > week and hung it up in my cube. A co-worker wrote in a step 0: "Deinstall
> > > Windows".
> >
> > In a perfect world.. :)  But if the viruses and worms keep hitting MS shops
> > hard, they will eventually look for another solution.  And at the courts.
> > These attacks are going to affect the pocketbook, and that will get their
> > attention.
>
> I can only hope so. I think a lot of folks keep worrying about cyberwarfare
> or -terrorism or general "hacking", but do little beyond that. Just worry,
> instead of at least striving for some heterogeniety (sp?) in their server
> room. "But our people don't know anything but Windows, and we can't afford
> more people/training!"

If the problems persist, this will change from an annoyance to something that
executives want fixed because it's hurting their bottom line.  I hope they
don't expect much support from the Dept of Homeland Security.

There's little or no training where I work, on a product that is complex and
must deal with EPA regulations, state regulations, deals worked out between
companies and regulatory agencies, etc.  No wonder it's such a stressful
environment.

> > > As for CIOs getting summarily fired for using/recommending Windoze - I
wish.
> > > Last place I worked at we were finally moving towards Linux for at least
the
> > > *servers*. Then, whoosh, we got the new boy wonder CTO and bam, it was all
> > > "rah, rah, Microsoft"...and any independent thinkers got laid off. Whee.
> > >
> > > This genius even wanted to move the codebase (eventually, he so graciously
> > > said. Using what rationale other than looking at MS' latest brochure for
> > > PHBs, I dunno.) to .NET!!! Talk about pure visionary genius[0].

Vision if for people who don't have time to be bothered by reality.