[CLUE-Talk] anyone else getting spammed? [Fwd: Re: clue.denver.co.us]

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Dec 4 22:39:40 MST 2003

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 21:25:30 -0700
Evan Widger <PsychoI3oy at linkline.com> wrote:

> just got this in my inbox, i'm wondering if anyone else has.
>
> is there a way to set the mailing list to obfuscate our addresses on it?

Found this while googling "gnu mailman obfuscate"

  ++++++++++++++++++++++++
It /is/ possible to configure pipermail (the archive management
software which comes with GNU mailman) to obscure e-mail addresses,
however the feature is broken in all releases of GNU Mailman prior to
I think 2.1.0 or so.  BLU uses 2.0.6 which is b0rken.  An upgrade
would be necessary to fix the problem.

Since we're running 2.0.13, I guess the answer is sort-of no. The archives
are (zipped?) text files, so I guess it would be possible to write a Perl
script (or even awk could handle it, maybe not as cleanly though) to
globally "fix" the archives. I suppose a Python hacker could come up with
a patch for the pipermail ouput formatting program.

jed