[CLUE-Talk] Sure its 'Not About Oil' was: Why Iraq? Why now?

Alex Young ayoung at email.com
Tue Feb 4 22:32:03 MST 2003

<snip>
> Had you been alive, would you have been equally opposed to war against
> Hitler?  I _DO_NOT_ mean that to equate Saddam Hussein with Hitler.  I am
> simply trying to find the point at which you would concede that war and
> the associated "collateral damage" (i.e. the death of innocent civilians,
> enemy and allied soldiers, etc.) would be justified to stop an evil
> dictator.
</snip>

I can't speak for Jeffery, but I'll bite.     I, like many others, have problems with any war.
The "Hitler Problem" is often used as a reason that pacifism can't be logical.    There are many reasons why this argument is weak, but I'll stick with the one that I best identify with.

The fact that Hitler was able to take power was primarily a result of the economic unrest in Western Europe following World War I.     Had we not participated in WWI, I believe that Hitler would not have risen to power, and, on the whole, the world would be a better place today.

I grew up in Western Montana.   I mention this because it lead me to a familiarization with Jeannette Rankin, the first woman congressperson, and the only member of congress to vote against both world war one and two the only member of congress to vote against world war one, stating "I can not vote for war".      Another memorable quote is "You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake"

Whether or not you believe that Iraq has the power or the intent to cause damage to the US, I believe the only reasonable course of action is to make every attempt to peacefully resolve the conflict.     Peaceful nations have (at least recently,) historically existed longer than the war-making states.    It is in our best interest to be cautious in our international affairs.

Peace,

-Alex
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Meet Singles