[CLUE-Talk] FCC Deregulation Debate

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Wed Jan 29 15:24:47 MST 2003

On 01-29 15:15, Randy Arabie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 January 2003 at 18:07:42 -0700, Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at americanisp.net> wrote:
> > On 01-07 13:26, Keith Christian wrote:
> > > Wow.
> > >
> > > If one wants to witness more of the 'tyranny of the majority' then watch what
> > > happens if this deregulation takes place.
> > >
> > > Who do the media giants think they're kidding?  What would drive or foster
> > > diversity of opinion in a climate like that?
> > >
> > > (Let 'em all merge...then they could call themselves "Pravda.")
> > >
> > > I would appreciate rebuttals to my opinion.
> >
> > I just finished up _The Future of Ideas_, by Lawrence Lessig. There are some
> > interesting topics[0] he covers in that book, and many deal with the issues
> > of control...in some cases, government has caused and/or enforced
> > oligarchies and monopolies via "regulation", so I guess it all depends on
> > what is meant by "deregulation".
> >
> > Anyway, this thread is old, but I'd like to recommend the book. Written by a
> > lawyer, but enough techie stuff in there to sastisfy most folks on here. :)
> >
> > [0] Such topics as: patent & copyright law, DeCSS, Napster, MP3.com, smart
> > vs. dumb radio, QoS, etc.
>
> I checked out a copy from the library today during lunch.  It looks like
> it will be a good read.
>
> In the preface he talks a bit about his first book, _Code and Other Laws
> of Cyberspace_.  Have you, or anyone on the list, read it?

I have not. But it's on my "to-read" list...it's a long list, but it's not
always a queue; sometimes it's a stack. :)

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
And 1.1.81 is officially BugFree(tm), so if you receive any bug-reports on it,
you know they are just evil lies.
-Linus Torvalds