[CLUE-Talk] Going to war, how much to pay people

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Jan 29 18:05:14 MST 2003

Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> After hearing President Bush's speech tonight, I thought that I might
> enlighten some of you who may not know how much the enlisted folks make
> to put their life on the line for us.
>
> Take a look at this URL to get an idea:
>
> http://militarypay.dtic.mil/pay/bp/paytables/Jan2002.html

The best pay we can give the military is wise leadership.  Obviously you
can't pay anyone enough to be killed or maimed in a far off place.  But
we can make sure they die only when necessary.  And we can make sure
they have to kill only when necessary.  I'm not sure either of those
have happened in my lifetime.

It is generally accepted that WWII was a good cause.  If you want some
second thoughts, take a look at "Wartime" by Paul Fussell.

Dave