[CLUE-Talk] Going to war, how much to pay people

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Jan 30 17:51:43 MST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 10:50:47PM -0700, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> As a suggestion for future consideration of this list, please do NOT
> criticize the troops for what they do, only criticize Congress and the
> President.

Well, I'm not going to criticize the troops--I completely agree that
they deserve our respect and gratitude, even if we disagree with the
policies that direct their efforts--but I can't endorse your call to
suppress such criticism. That's why we have the First Amendment: so that
people can express unpopular views without fear of reprisal. I think
this list is populated with some very intelligent people, and if someone
chooses to critize our men and women in uniform, they will be ignored by
most, and if necessary they will be capably rebutted by people like you.
Where's the problem?

> But once a conflict or war begins, do NOT back down from the
> support or convice Congress/President to have a good exit strategy of
> any conflict.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)