[CLUE-Talk] Going to war, how much to pay people

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Jan 30 22:57:05 MST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 07:27:32PM -0700, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 17:51, Matt Gushee wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 10:50:47PM -0700, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> > >
> > > As a suggestion for future consideration of this list, please do NOT
> > > criticize the troops for what they do, only criticize Congress and the
> > > President.
> >
> > Well, I'm not going to criticize the troops--I completely agree that
> > they deserve our respect and gratitude, even if we disagree with the
> > policies that direct their efforts--but I can't endorse your call to
> > suppress such criticism. That's why we have the First Amendment: so that
>
> I was being very careful to point out the problems of the past: Viet Nam
> and calling our troops "baby killers" when in fact it was the tactics of
> the enemy to send in kids with hand grenades against our troops.
>
> Or, let's put it into perspective: if were at war with Iraq and I walked
> into CLUE with my uniform on (and was active duty again), what would you
> do or say to me?  Would you begin name calling or snide remarks?  Or
> would you carry on an adult conversation?

The latter, of course. But you seemed to be advocating a sort of
self-censorship. As I said, I'm not about to condemn those who serve in
our armed forces. I just don't see why such criticism needs to be
preemptively disallowed in this or any forum composed of sensible
adults.

> > > But once a conflict or war begins, do NOT back down from the
> > > support or convice Congress/President to have a good exit strategy of
> > > any conflict.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.
>
> Again, during the Viet Nam conflict Americans criticized the troops once
> they came home for decisions that were made at the top of the chain.
> The key issue here is once the "trigger" is pulled, hopefully the
> decision is made to make is short and sweet and not drag on with "just
> enough" effort to make it drag on.  The longer it drags on the more
> distrustful people will get.  In other words: don't go to war
> half-assed!!  Go all the way, quickly and decisively!!
>
> Most active duty DO NOT want to go to war, but if they do, they want it
> over quickly!!
>
> Any better?

Yes. Thanks for the clarification.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;