[CLUE-Talk] Fw: [rmiug-jobs] Tues, July 8 RMIUG mtg - "Blogging - The New Mouthpiece of the Net"

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Jul 2 15:29:23 MDT 2003

Thought this would be of interest to CLUEbies.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:30:08 -0600
From: "Dan Murray" <dan at rmiug.org>
To: <rmiug-jobs at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [rmiug-jobs] Tues, July 8  RMIUG mtg - "Blogging - The New
Mouthpiece of the Net"

<<<Please note security regulations for the meeting facility
explained at the bottom of this email.>>>

The Tuesday, July 8th meeting of the Rocky Mountain Internet
Users Group (RMIUG) will feature a panel discussion called
"Blogging - The New Mouthpiece of the Net."  Online diaries
called Weblogs, or simply "blogs," are dramatically growing
in popularity on the Net.  Blogger.com now has over a million
members, with 200,000 maintaining active blogs.  Businesses
and marketers are also looking for ways to jump into the fray.

Our panel will cover both the cultural aspects of blogging as
well as some of the technical issues involved.  Please join us
for an insider's glimpse into this fascinating new phenomenon
sweeping the Internet.

Christopher Locke (clocke at panix.com), a noted industry speaker and author,
is publisher of the EGR Weblog, and president of Entropy Web Consulting in
Boulder.  He will be speaking about the cultural aspects of blogging,
including why it has become so popular and the impact it is having on
society at large.  He was included in The Financial Times' 2001 list of
top
50 business thinkers worldwide and has written extensively for
publications
such as Forbes, Release 1.0, Information Week, Publish, The Industry
Standard, and Harvard Business Review.  Chris is author of "Gonzo
Marketing:
Winning Through Worst Practices" and co-author of "The Cluetrain
Manifesto,"
a business bestseller.  He has been invited to present at more RMIUG
meetings than any other speaker, appearing in 1995, 1997, 2000 and 2001.

Derek Scruggs (derek at escalan.com), founder of Escalan, LLC, a full-service
online agency, will discuss the emergence of RSS (Really Simple
Syndication
or Rich Site Summary, depending on who you ask) as an important enabler
for
blogging success and as a disruptive technology on the web.  Prior to
founding Escalan, Derek Scruggs was the Permission Advocate for
MessageMedia
(now part of DoubleClick), one of the original email marketing service
providers.  Prior to joining MessageMedia, Derek was founder and CEO of
Distributed Bits, a Chicago-based provider of email customer service
software that was acquired by MessageMedia in 1998.

URL's of interest:
-------------------
EGR Weblog, http://www.rageboy.com/blogger.html
Escalan, LLC, http://www.escalan.com/
RSS Overview and finding RSS Feeds,
http://www.faganfinder.com/search/rss.shtml
NewsGator - a popular RSS reader that plugs into Outlook, developed by
Greg
Reinacker of Highlands Ranch, http://www.newsgator.com
List of popular NewsReaders,
http://www.ourpla.net/cgi-bin/pikie.cgi?RssReaders
Making an RSS Feed, http://www.ourpla.net/cgi-bin/pikie.cgi?RssReaders

The meeting is Tuesday, July 8th from 7:00 - 9:00 pm (with
optional 6:30 pm start for refreshments and informal networking).
The meeting will be held at The National Center for Atmospheric
Research (NCAR) at 1850 Table Mesa Drive in Boulder.  To get to
NCAR from the Boulder Turnpike (US 36) or Broadway (US 93), take
Table Mesa Drive west towards the mountains for approximately 2.5
miles into the foothills. NCAR is at the top of the hill.  For
door-to-door driving directions, go to MapQuest
(http://www.mapquest.com/ ), click on Driving Directions, enter
your starting address, NCAR's address, and voila! Park in the NCAR
lot, go in the main door, and ask the guard to point you to meeting,
which is held in the main auditorium, right off the lobby. The
meeting is free and open to the public, but we may pass the hat to
help defray expenses.

Our meeting location seats about 120 people. That is usually enough
room to accommodate all attendees, but it's impossible for us to
predict how many people will show up for any given meeting. Seating
is always on a first-come, first serve basis, and in the event of
more attendees than seats, we won't be able to admit additional
people into the auditorium after all seats are filled.

Thanks to our two sponsors who help make RMIUG meetings happen:
MicroStaff (www.microstaff.com) which provides Creative and
Technical Talent for Web, Interactive Media, Marketing
Communications and Software Development projects, is the sponsor
of food and beverages for RMIUG meetings.

ONEWARE (http://www.ONEWARE.com) -- a Colorado-based software
company that provides semi-custom web-based applications, sponsors
the RMIUG meeting minutes.

Consultants and companies are invited to bring Internet-related
Product information, brochures, and business cards which will be
displayed on an information table.

There are email mailing lists set up for this group. To subscribe or
unsubscribe, see http://www.rmiug.org/maillist.html You can also
reach the RMIUG "Executive" Committee at rmiug-comm at rmiug.org. Our
web site is at http://www.rmiug.org/

Tentative upcoming RMIUG meetings:
------------------------------------
TBD - "Web Technology - What the Present and Future Holds"
TBD - "Starting an Internet/Software Company Today"
TBD - "Domain Update - Legal Issues & Technical Changes"
TBD - "Nonprofits on the Net - A Web of Activism"
TBD - "E-Learning: Did the Hype Ever Pan Out?"
TBD - "Instant Messaging vs. Email vs. Web"

(To suggest a topic, send your idea to rmiug-comm at rmiug.org)

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
Please note that RMIUG is hosted at NCAR and we are their guests.
NCAR has security regulations in effect that we must follow in
order to use the facility.  If any RMIUG attendee is unwilling to
follow these simple regulations, I would ask that he or she not
attend and instead read the minutes after the meeting.  At one
meeting last year, an uncooperative RMIUG attendee almost cost
us the use of the NCAR facility for good.

Here are the NCAR security policies that must be followed:

1.  No weapons.
2.  Must sign in at front desk and provide name.
3.  Cooperate with security folks including providing ID
     if requested.
4.  We are guests of NCAR so cooperation and courtesy are
     expected when dealing with NCAR staff.

If there are any questions or concerns with this policy, please
contact me directly.  Thanks, Dan Murray (dan at rmiug.org).