[CLUE-Talk] PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Jul 14 19:33:38 MDT 2003

I found myself saying, Halleluja! as I read this.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html

Do you folks find it annoying when you run across PDF?  In certain
settings, it is nice (something like an IRS form or the like), but most
of the time they drive me nuts.  They may be a nice option for
downloading a printable version of an otherwise HTML-based page.

I absolutely hate PDF when I am searching for something on Google, and I
have to download a PDF to read something that could have very easily
been HTML.

I suspect a lot of folk, many of whom are print-oriented, like the
absolute page control that the PDF offers.  Sadly, this is indicative of
a simple fact:  these folks do not grok the web.

Any thoughts?

Tim