[CLUE-Talk] PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Mon Jul 14 21:24:37 MDT 2003

On 07-14 19:33, Timothy C. Klein wrote:

> I found myself saying, Halleluja! as I read this.
>
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html
>
> Do you folks find it annoying when you run across PDF?  In certain
> settings, it is nice (something like an IRS form or the like), but most
> of the time they drive me nuts.  They may be a nice option for
> downloading a printable version of an otherwise HTML-based page.
>
> I absolutely hate PDF when I am searching for something on Google, and I
> have to download a PDF to read something that could have very easily
> been HTML.
>
> I suspect a lot of folk, many of whom are print-oriented, like the
> absolute page control that the PDF offers.  Sadly, this is indicative of
> a simple fact:  these folks do not grok the web.

I wish more "web designers" bothered to read Jakob Nielsen's book. I cannot
stand Flash and PDF is only mildly less annoying. The best thing I can say
about uncalled-for PDF use is, hey, at least they weren't so dumb as to put
it in Word. Too many folks are trying to just re-create the company
brochure, but online.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Knee-jerk liberals and all the certified saints of sanctified humanism are
quick to condemn this great and much-maligned Transylvanian statesman.
-William F. Buckley, Jr. "The Wit and Wisdom of Vlad the Impaler"
(contributed by Chris Johnston)