[CLUE-Talk] PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Mon Jul 14 22:38:42 MDT 2003

On Monday 14 July 2003 07:33 pm, Timothy C. Klein wrote:
> I suspect a lot of folk, many of whom are print-oriented, like the
> absolute page control that the PDF offers.  Sadly, this is indicative of
> a simple fact:  these folks do not grok the web.

I totally disagree (not that I like PDFs particularly).  IMHO, the *reason*
PDFs became popular is because unlike the browser war bs, you can count on a
PDF looking the same, no matter which OS you're running.

In the *early days* of the web, CSS was not around, so page display and layout
were pretty much up to the whims of the browsers.  Of course, none of them
did it the same and saps like me spent hours working out stupid display
incompatibilities among popular browsers.

People who cared about their company's image turned to PDFs for brochures and
such because they wanted consistency.  I think they grok'd the web - and it's
(then) limitations.

Later,
Jeff

--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."