[CLUE-Talk] SCO providing Linux licenses

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Mon Jul 21 18:40:08 MDT 2003

I wonder if they lawyers counselled for or against this?  The possible
consequences are very intriguing.  SCO is acting like they own Linux...
binaries only, no source.  Now what, will Linus et al. sue SCO for
violating the GPL and their IP?  SCO hasn't proved its case yet, after
all.  How would a judge view this, especially if another court rules
that SCO's IP was not violated?

I think this was their intent all along.  Normally, a company would try
to buy a competitor, but that's not possible in this case.  So they
claim violation of their IP and attempt to hijack Linux.  And the GNU
project, XFree, KDE, GNOME, etc. as well, since they are not releasing
any source code.  They aren't even interested in the standard approach
of the offending party removing what was supposedly stolen.

Most, if not all of these projects could also sue.