[CLUE-Talk] Copyright of SCO source code

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Jul 21 21:12:47 MDT 2003

* Dennis J Perkins (djperkins at americanisp.net) wrote:
> If my understanding of copyright law is correct, copyrighting the source
> code means that there is a copy at the copyright office.  Is that
> viewable by the public, even if it can't be copied in most cases?
>
> If Linux source code is published before SCO's source, who holds the
> copyright for identical parts?  The Linux code was publicly available
> first.  Trade secrets don't enjoy the protection of copyright law.

I must admit my ignorance here, but this is how I understand it.

I don't beleive you have to register a copy with the gov. if you
copyright anymore.  I think you may have been advised to at one point.

But even if they did, it would be the binary that is copyrighted, and
the source code would simpy be kept as a trade secret.  Either way, SCO
will not have given a copy of their code to the US Gov.

IMNSHO opinion, US copyright law has really fallen on its face when it
comes to binary code.

Tim