[CLUE-Talk] Proposed HR 2688 -- Wondering about opinions on H-1B visas

Srbraukhof at aol.com Srbraukhof at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 11:23:26 MDT 2003

Rita,

Look at Canadian labour laws.  Having spent over two years traveling to parts of the US and Canada has made me very aware of the rift between Canadian and American labor practices.

I agree with your observation that employers have and are abusing the policy.

Canadian law specifically prohibits a foreign worker (but really translates to American worker) from entering the country to do a job that can be performed by a Canadian. On more than one trip I was detained for over 30 minutes and questioned about my 'business' in Canada.

I'm not saying that that sort of protectionism is what we need, but I believe that skills American agencies have paid to train will soon be over seas.

The remark of the visad workers spend money here and doreigners don't is a bit moot.  I spent a lot of time in the Bay Area and have seen workers who were once in six-figures now on welfare assistance.

In some cases their only alternative is to return 'home'.