[CLUE-Talk] interesting home business article - from slashdot

Evan Widger PsychoI3oy at linkline.com
Sat Jul 26 01:41:29 MDT 2003

as for the school thing my original plan was to transfer to a 4 year school
and get a bachelor's in computer engineering (cal poly's major combining
what i'm sure are the hardest/best parts of computer science and electronics
engineering) of course this was all planned back in 99 and 2000 when the
idea of job straight out of college was a reality and the certificates in
web development i had might have made me some money. i personally agree with
you on the MCSE being worthless, i studied for it when i was working at the
computer store, along with studying for the A+, though neither would have
increased my pay at that store they might have been stepping stones to
better jobs in the future (Again, this was back in 99 and 00, so the idea
wouldn't have been absurd back then) i never took the tests cause i thought
it would be stupid to pay MS money so that they can add letters to your
business card for things you already know you know and don't need them to OK
you on it. (if that makes any sense whatsoever). as it is right now i
realise how much i miss school and how much i really liked learning (i had
the best teacher in the world for my perl class, he was awesome, real world
problems(he was part sysadmin for the school's linux server 'gracie') and
real world anecdotes about life as a programmer (he works (worked?) at
agilent as a full time perl programmer) i wish all my teachers were like
him, he's the teacher i want to be sometime in the future. i wish i could
afford to go back to school. it's on the list of things to do after my wife
gets out of her schooling, but in this economy it might be my only option.
fucking money. why does it have to run everything?