[CLUE-Talk] just saw this on cnn.com - Is lying about the reason for a war an impeachable offense? by John Dean

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Jun 7 12:13:55 MDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 10:38:28AM -0600, G. Richard Raab wrote:

> On Saturday 07 June 2003 09:43 am, John Kennedy wrote:

John Kennedy? *John F. Kennedy*, back from the dead?

Just kidding. Couldn't resist, given the question you asked.

> > I just saw this on cnn.com
> >
> > Is this guy Nixon's lawyer?  That Dean?

> > lying about the reason for a war an impeachable offense?</a>
> > by John W. Dean, a former counsel to the president of the United States.
>
> I believe it is the same John Dean. Rather funny that he is concerned about
> ethics now.

Well, he did seem to become concerned during the Watergate
investigation; for whatever reason, he became a whistleblower. If I
remember right, he was the first official of any importance to turn
against the Nixon administration. So it could be argued that he was the
best of a bad lot (unless you follow the G. Gordon Liddy/Oliver North
philosophy of Patriotic Deception [TM], in which case he was just a
coward).

> If he was this concerned, it could have come up in the mid 70's, ~84-86 ( I do
> not remember), ~96 (oh, wait, it did come then- a lot ), and for the last 2
> years.
> I know that a lot of lies were told on the anthrax, and It would appear that a
> lot more lies were told concerning Iraq. The time to mention about Iraq was
> before hand, not after.

Well, that's a good point. Maybe Dean is one of the many whose hearts
are in the right place but are easily deceived by authority figures.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)