[CLUE-Talk] Hatch Takes Aim at Illegal Downloading

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Jun 19 18:15:19 MDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 05:57:50PM -0600, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> >   - laws that favor existing companies?
>
> I'm not sure how existing laws are an impediment to smaller start-up
> record companies. You'd have to explain this one.

I can't. It was just a wild guess.

> > But I wonder which one of these is crucial ... or is it just the
> > combination of all of them?
>
> If you're looking for the big mega-success, maybe all of them. If you're
> talking about turning a profit and making a decent living, probably none
> of them.

Good point there. And I'm aware of some of the alternative labels out
there. I guess I'm just puzzled that so few people will venture beyond
the mainstream, when what the mainstream has to offer so obviously
sucks. I mean, even if you think Warner Bros/EMI/Columbia/etc. are
putting out great albums, it's hard to argue that they're reasonably
priced. And as Courtney Love and others have eloquently pointed out,
most major-label recording artists get a fairly shitty deal.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)