[CLUE-Talk] Patent Infringement

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Mon Mar 3 07:08:09 MST 2003

On Monday 03 March 2003 12:44 am, bill ehlert wrote:
>     so why are we making fun of it???

The U.S. Constitution granted provisions to create a patent system.  Many of
the Constitutional Framers were against patents because they are essentially
a government-granted monopoly.  The idea originally comes from Medieval
times, and patent systems (not called patents) were common in many European
countries.  First one verified in Venice in 1474.

Monopolies (later called patents) used to expire at 14 years, but over the
history of our country, especially recent history (i.e., since the 1900s)
patents have been extended until well beyond the 14 years.  As a side-note
the 14 year period was the length of an apprentice becoming a master...

Since the original intent of a patent is a social contract - i.e., the patent
owner will invent something great - forward the state of the art as you put
it.  Then during the monopoly period, after he regains financial costs from
the research and development, he will release this invention into the public
domain and complete the social contract because his monopoly expires - anyone
can now 'copy' the invention without fear of a patent infringement claim.  A
good example of this is generic prescription drugs, which have a different
patent term.

Here's what Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution says:

"Congress shall have power ... to promote the progress of science and useful
arts by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive
right to their respective writings and discoveries."

Unfortunately, they key phrase is 'limited times' - originally 14 years.
However, now that the U.S. patents can be extended well past 100 years, many
believe that the patent system has degenerated into nothing more than a
government-santioned monopoly and many view that the social contract is
broken because the invention can effectively never be copied - at least for
the next 100 years or so.

BTW - This is not the first time that public opinion has been against patents
(see link below).  It's just that the Congress never seems to reduce or
restrict the patent laws.  They have simply granted more and more time to
extend a patent.  So, now my grandson can extend my patent that I created
decades ago.  This doesn't seem fair to me, does it to you?

Finally, with regard to software, even the original 14 year period of patents
is a long time in software technology.  14 years ago was DOS 2.0 and Linus
Torvalds was in high school.  So, the opinion of many software folks ranges
from the idea that software patents are outrageous (e.g., Richard Stallman)
to the idea that limited grant (2-5 years) is sufficient (e.g., Tim
O'Reilly).

+ http://www.ladas.com/Patents/USPatentHistory.html

Jeff

--