[CLUE-Talk] Are MAC addresses really unique?]

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Wed Mar 5 21:44:27 MST 2003

Interesting thought.

I think the key is that so many devices are flashable now.  I was even
told by AT&T broadband to reprogram a cable modem to a totally bogus
addres, so that their DHCP server would hand out a new IP address.

aloha,
dave

Today's focus:  Are MAC addresses really unique?

By Steve Blass

Are media access control addresses really unique? Or are there
any (maybe cloned?) network interface cards that have the same
MAC address as another NIC? What is the probability of having
two identical MAC addresses within one network?

The IEEE manages MAC addresses. The hardware identification
addresses that the IEEE distributes are unique. That makes the
probability of matching MAC addresses zero.

On the other hand, some hardware MAC addresses are programmable,
which makes them spoofable. This means that it is possible for
two machines in the same network to have the same MAC address.

To actually calculate the probability that two or more computers
in the same network share the same MAC address, look up
'selection with and without replacement' in an introductory
Combinatorics or Probability and Statistics textbook and follow
the procedures outlined in the book.

You can find network standards information available online at
http://standards.ieee.org/. In addition to the FAQ files there,
the IEEE recently has made the collection of 802 Ethernet
networking standards documents available free of charge in PDF
format through the Get IEEE 802
<http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/> program.

RELATED EDITORIAL LINKS

LAN research center
Latest news, analysis and research links.
http://www.nwfusion.com/topics/lans.html
To contact: Steve Blass

Blass is a network architect at Change at Work in Houston. He can
be reached at mailto:dr.internet at changeatwork.com .
3Com and Network World are issuing an invitation to college
students in the United States to compete in the writing contest
on "How Networking Technology Can Change Business."  Evaluated
by a distinguished panel of judges, qualifying essays will
compete for a $1,500 grand prize scholarship award plus 10
additional prizes. Visit http://www.nwfusion.com/research/promo
for all the details!
ARCHIVE LINKS

Newsletter archives http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/
FEATURED READER RESOURCE

NW FUSION'S DOWNLOADS AREA Try before you buy with our new
Downloads area. We've assembled links to more than 500 free and
evaluation enterprise-level applications, from application
development and XML to management and security.
http://www.nwfusion.com/links/Downloads/
You've got the technology snapshot of your choice delivered
at your fingertips each day. Now, extend your knowledge by
receiving 51 FREE issues to our print publication. Apply
today at http://www.subscribenw.com/nl2

International subscribers click here :
http://nww1.com/go/circ_promo.html

To change your e-mail address, go to:
http://www.nwwsubscribe.com/news/scripts/changeemail.asp

Subscription questions? Contact Customer Service by replying to
this message.

Have editorial comments? Write Jeff Caruso, Newsletter Editor,
at: mailto:jcaruso at nww.com

For advertising information, write Alonna Doucette, V.P. of
Online Development, at: mailto:sponsorships at nwfusion.com

Copyright Network World, Inc., 2003

This message was sent to:  davep at kinaole.org

----- End forwarded message -----