[CLUE-Talk] Reagrding the RH update service survey

bof bof at pcisys.net
Fri Mar 7 07:46:35 MST 2003

There was some discussion a few days back about RH and its using a
60-day cycle survey for those who wanted to use the free update service.
I just took the survey, and wanted to share what it asked with the group.

There were four questions, all with radio button-type answers:

1. How often do you use the RH network service (weekly, monthly,
annually, or almost never)?
2. How many servers do you have that you use it for (home machine, one,
millions)?
3. What is your role (sysadmin, student, IT manager, other, etc)?
4. How many employees are at your workplace (one, tens, hundreds,
thousands)?

Unfortunately, the choices given for answers did not work to describe
me. While question 2 allowed me to tell them that I was using a home
machine, it is a workstation, not a server. The choices for question
three did not allow me to describe myself as a non-student home user, so
I chose "other", and there are no employees where I am, just lil ole me.

It would appear that the survey has conflicting goals, with questions
not designed to allow accurate distinction between home users and
business users, and does not care about input from a home user running a
one workstation system. I wonder, however, how many fall into this
category, and if the survey results will be skewed because it does not
allow for their input. This might not be of importance to RH, as they
are definitely targeting the business community, but as a user of the
service, I would like my voice to be heard accurately.

BOF