[CLUE-Talk] Marketing to CLUE Members

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Fri Mar 14 14:58:28 MST 2003

There needs to be a stated and approved protocol for peer marketing
within CLUE.  Rick is a contributing member of CLUE, not a leech.  Rick
therefore ~can~ presume some relationship with the recipients of his
message.  I found his message entirely inoffensive, with the exception
of the 'implicit opt-in.'

Rick's message is, in other words, not a good match for the
time-and-resource wasting spam that ~I~ hate so much.  I don't hate spam
because someone marketed to me.  I hate spam only when and because it's
entirely useless waste of time and resources.  I ~do~ spend money,
therefore I ~am~ an appropriate market for someone.  In this case, Rick
offered an opportunity to establish a relationship with a realtor that
is not a stranger.  I appreciated the opportunity.

You all beat him up like he was a stranger peeing in your pool.  He may
~have~ peed in the pool, but he's not a stranger, he's a productive and
contributing friend, and you all should be ashamed of the amount of
ass-whipping that was delivered over this.

/me ducks.