[CLUE-Talk] [Fwd: MRC Alert Special: ABC's War News ToutsDoubt and Dissent]

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Wed Mar 26 11:10:38 MST 2003

Joe, don't you agree that eight minutes of softball from Peter Jennings
is a little unusual?  God doesn't forbid that the anti-war viewpoint be
heard.  In fact, no one does, here or elsewhere.  I agree that there are
people, me among them, that think y'all go a little too far, but
whatever...  Usually Jennings 'explores and challenges', right?  For him
to toss a question like the one you quoted is out-of-character.  That's
a coaching question, neither exploratory nor challenging.  It seems set
up specifically to provide an opportunity for platforming.  Now, again,
there's nothing wrong with providing the anti-Bush / anti-war gang an
opportunity to platform, but it's perfectly appropriate for the
'watchdog' to call him on it, too.

I wish I had more time...  There was a point raised days ago about how
many U.N. resolutions Israel has defied, and I really wanted to answer
it then, but there is just not enough time.  For now, let me say this:
There are four parties involved in the argument that was made, the U.S.,
the U.N., Saddam, and Israel.  Israel is a loyal political ally that has
defied orders from the U.N.  Saddam is a violent political enemy that
has defied U.S. backed orders from the U.N.  The orders which Saddamn
defied have a negative effect on our national security.  Someone is
going to argue that, so I'll explain:  We are ~this~ secure if we can
examine our enemy's capacity on a regular basis.  We are ~less~ secure
than we were if we lose that ability.  Moreover, we are ~this~ secure if
we have confidence that a policeman can order our enemy to do
such-and-so, and he will respond.  We are ~less~ secure if that is not
so.  By comparison, we are equally secure whether or not a friend
responds to the orders of a policeman.  Israel has never threatened this
nation.  I should have thought this math / logic would be obvious, but I
guess not.  I could argue also that if I and a criminal are in a
standoff, with our guns pointed at one another, and a policeman orders
us both to disarm while he looks away, I am quite likely to defy his
orders, because I will make the assumption that my criminal associate
will do so, and I prefer not to be shot.  Does that make me a criminal?
You might say so, and I might disagree, and both our viewpoints would be
valid.

Last stop, Vietnam.  Have any of you been in a fist-fight, or played a
strategic computer-game, or any sort of wargame?  If there are two
people/countries that are threats to you, do you fight both of them
simultaneously, or do you swat one of them and hope that the other
leaves you alone until the one you started with is dead?  If you usually
win these sorts of games you know that the only way to do handle threats
is one at a time, unless there is no other choice, and when there is no
other choice, your tactics must be a LOT more brutal, if you are to have
a hope of winning.  By contentrating our resources on the war with Iraq,
and temporarily ignoring Vietnam, we buy the ability to be 'surgical'
and the ability to spend resources on rehabilitating Iraq.  If we fight
both at the same time, rehabilitation will no longer be an option, all
our resources will go toward disabling the threats.  Yes, I understand
that war is not a wargame or a common fist-fight, but as far as I have
been able to determine, the strategies that work are remarkably similar.