[CLUE-Talk] Traitors, Cowards, Scoundrels, and Intelligent Dissenters

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Wed Mar 26 23:10:42 MST 2003

David,

I'll take the put up or shut up challenge!  :-)

Your President started the us/them rhetoric when he said:

"Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."  just after 9/11.
Seems pretty cut-and-dry there, doesn't it?  What about those of us who are
not 'with' the President or the terrrorists?  I suppose we are all
terrorists, but the President's "logic".

Want some more quotes from other conservatives?

Ari Fleischer warned that "all Americans" should "watch what they say."
Attorney General Ashcroft said that those who complained of lost liberties
during the war on terror "aid terrorists" by giving "ammunition to America's
enemies and pause to America's friends."

When Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle expressed sadness that Bush's failure
to find a diplomatic solution was finally leading to war, House Speaker
Dennis Hastert said Daschle had come "mighty close" to giving "comfort" to
the enemy.

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, more bluntly told the South Dakota
Democrat to shut his mouth. "Fermez la bouche, Monsieur Daschle!" he snapped,
equating Daschle's criticism with France's efforts to block a war resolution
in the United Nations.

CBS warned musicians not to protest against the war (before the war) at the
Grammys.  Last week, Clear Channel (our favorite local radio monopoly) barred
protest groups from distributing literature at an Ani DiFranco concert in New
Jersey -- and threatened to pull the plug on DiFranco or anyone else who made
antiwar comments from the stage.

Is this enough evidence?

Perhaps you can see why some of us who do not agree with the President get
upset at such inflammatory statements made by him and other conservative
politicians.

Later,
Jeff

--