[CLUE-Talk] Charlie Daniels comments, article about Saddam's sons.

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Thu Mar 27 19:47:48 MST 2003

Oh Heck.  I think I need a lesson on the basics of the Geneva
Convention.  I'm shocked at everything I've learned about it recently,
and I'm beginning to think I'm disappointed.  I mistakenly thought that
the GC was about NOT behaving monstrously (not using incendiary
grenades, flamethrowers, or napalm on infantry-men, not torturing POWs)
I didn't realize that it was about being 'polite'.  This business about
embarrassing pictures and lawyers and not bombing the Iraqi TV
station...  Amazing.  One wonders whether the GC was drafted by the
military men it governs, or by lawyers.  I'll cover any dollar bets that
it was lawyers, and that they don't give a fig whether the parameters
they laid down are actually workable or not.  These are the same people
that figured that making it really hard for law-abiding citizens to own
guns would lower violent crime rates.  Don't get me started...

In fact, I have to make one last comment and then bug out...

Check "Starship Troopers" (the book, not the movie) for my stance on
'human rights.'  They're a fiction.  There's no such thing.  A human
drowning in a lake may complain to the lake that he has a 'human right'
to life, and the lake will drown him anyway.  There are needs and wants,
and it's very nice if people try to help you meet your needs, and it's
even  nicer if they help you meet your wants, but they are not obligated
to do so.  It's very mean if they deny you your needs or the means to
meet your needs, and that mean-ness should have some consequences, at
least a transfer of the responsibility of meeting your needs, to them.

I challenge anyone to find a clear delineation between those things we
call 'human rights' and all the other 'things I just feel I ought to
have.'

I find it hard to believe that a man, even a man
detained-under-questionable-circumstances needs a lawyer.  He needs food
and shelter.  And anyone that tortures him should be killed as quickly
and cheaply as can be managed, but he doesn't ~need~ a lawyer.

I must now bow out of the debate, having realized several times now that
I am long on philosophy and short on facts.  There are people that can
do the job better than I can, and if you wanted my opinion, you'd give
it to me, right?  That doesn't mean you shouldn't rebut this post (what
little meat there is to it), just that I won't being rebutting your
rebuttal anymore.

Unless you get me really riled...