[CLUE-Talk] Traitors, Cowards, Scoundrels, and Intelligent Dissenters

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Sat Mar 29 11:05:49 MST 2003

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

>>So, from my perspective,
>>dissent all you want.  But one word of caution: please DO be careful
>>what you say with our troops in harms way.
>>

>I'd like to know -- who has said anything negative about the troops
>themselves? The protests going on right now aren't focused on the troops
>and I haven't seen anyone on this list say anything negative about the
>soldiers that are in harm's way.

The Constitution does not give us or our govt the right to set it or our
Bill of Rights aside during a war or at any other time.
We seem to have a regrettable tendency to try to do so when we are at
war or feel threatened.  Freedom of speech, and therefore spoken
dissent, still exists.
The fact that some will misuse or abuse it is beside the point.  The
fact that politicians abuse it to try to silence opponents is not.

If someone wants to claim the moral high ground, then they must take the
moral high ground.  If you accuse others of violating the Geneva
convention,
you should make sure that you do not violate it.  Why are the Al-Qaida
prisoners still at Guantanamo Bay?