[CLUE-Talk] OpenOffice startup tips

Ski Dawg skidawg at smcorwine.com
Thu May 1 15:27:08 MDT 2003

I saw this today and thought some others would find these tips
interesting.

>From http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/04/22/1931223.shtml?tid=51

Remove the splash screen from OpenOffice.org startup:
Change logo=1 to logo=0 in sofficerc file under your OpenOffice.org
installation directory. If not sure do locate sofficerc and that will
tell you the entire patch to the file you need to edit.

Tip from comments below article (by Ed Holden):
This is one of two tweaks I do whenever I build a system with
OpenOffice. The other is equally important: stopping the app from
running like you're on a 486. You can do this by increasing the
program's memory allocation. There are pros and cons to this, but on a
desktop system that uses OOo all the time, it's probably worth it. The
steps:

- Launch OOo.
- Go to Tools > Options
- Under the OpenOffice.org category, choose Memory
- Pump it up

Try to increase it just a little first, then come back and add more if
needed. No need to go crazy: anything a few MB higher than the default
allocation will improve performance noticeably. With no splash screen
and more memory, OOo is a decent wp.

--
Doug

Random Thought:
... the privileged being which we call human is distinguished from
other animals only by certain double-edged manifestations which in
charity we can only call "inhuman."
		-- R. A. Lafferty