[CLUE-Talk] SCO sucks

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Thu May 15 15:39:56 MDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:22:33PM -0400, Srbraukhof at aol.com wrote:

> The only advantage SCO had back then was the fact it was the first version of
> Unix that would run on an Intel platform... 8088.  Bottom line... they never
> grew up.

Amazingly enough, SCO had competitors even then.  I ran Venix/86, a fairly
clean Unix Version 7 port, the same time or slightly earlier.  IBM PC/XT,
4.77mhz 8088, 10mb disk, 640kb memory.  Sonme would say that Version 7 was
the last 'true' version of Unix.  The kernel text size was 45kb, no TCP
of course.

AT&T internally had a 8086 version of Unix that ran on an 'AP' (Auxillary
Processor).  One AT&T clients that I did some consulting had one of the
boxes, it ran the badge security system on door locks.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net
http://www.nyx.net/~tpoindex/