[CLUE-Talk] tonight's meeting

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue May 20 22:28:22 MDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003 21:52:08 -0600
robert anselmi <ranselmi at americanisp.com> wrote:

> and what does
> LFS mean? Usually in proper English an abreviation is spelled out before
> it is used.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Geek acronyms. I'm afraid you'll just
have to get used to them being used. This is true in any Geek community --
in fact it's common not just in geek communities. Usenet is a good example
of an envrionment where regulars toss acronyms around with wild abandon --
and some of them are even understandable! ;-)

Within any community, acronyms wind up being used, usually after their
"spelled out" equivalents have been typed a bunch of times. So, their
meanings are known in the community. It's part of the process of getting
to know a community, that one gets the hang of the jargon, which includes
sometimes obscure acronyms.

FWIW, LFS means "Linux From Scratch".

Usually, using google to look up acronyms works really well. Also, you can
consult the Jargon File. Actually, it makes for entertaining reading even
if you aren't trying to find something specific. It's maintained by Eric
S. Raymond, and you can find it at http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/

So, do try to remember that a mailing list isn't a thesis. Proper english
aren't required, or even speaked some of the times.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl