[CLUE-Talk] Another Bush lie

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Sat Nov 1 14:14:04 MST 2003

--- Randy Arabie <randy at arabie.org> wrote:

> WRT #3 immediately above.  That's the first I've heard that.
> Care to pass a link to that on?

U.S. Troops Use Confiscated Iraqi AK-47s
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/6609231.htm

"We just do not have enough rifles to equip all of our soldiers. So in
certain circumstances we allow soldiers to have an AK-47. They have to
demonstrate some proficiency with the weapon ... demonstrate an ability
to use it," said Lt. Col. Mark Young, commander of the 3rd Battalion,
67th Armor Regiment, 4th Infantry Division."

"Young doesn't carry an AK but has fired one. He's considered banning
his troops from carrying AKs, but hasn't yet because "if I take the AK
away from some of the soldiers, then they will not have a rifle to
carry with them."

"Staff Sgt. Michael Perez, a tanker, said he would take anything over
his standard issue 9mm pistol when he's out of his tank.

And the AK's durability has impressed him.

"They say you can probably drop this in the water and leave it
overnight, pull it out in the morning, put in a magazine and it will
work," Perez said."